Monday, November 18, 2013

Chicken Tacos with Kale and Salsa Verde

Posted by Spoon #1

I decided to do dinner tonight for my first post, so I found a dinner that I think is one of my favorites. I love this recipe because it is so tasty, with the kale and chicken, it just creates a magical combo which leaves a delightful taste in my mouth. Don't believe me? Why don't you make it and try it out?

It is a fast and easy taco recipe, and it has very few ingredients to hassle with, so it is much easier to create.

First, I removed the kale leaves from off of the stems, washing them as I go. Make sure you shake the water off the kale strongly (don't worry about breaking the stem from whiplash).  You don't want the residual water to steam the kale instead of sauteing them (yes, there's an accent, but I don't know how to make that).
Next, I put them in our wok (instead of a saucepan -- it was just easier), and let them saute with the minced garlic (garlic makes EVERYTHING better). If you don't know, sauteing kale makes it shrink ridiculously, so in the pictures, it may seem like I took out half of it. I didn't. 
While my mom was watching the kale, I cut the chicken (if you don't have an assistant, you should cut the chicken up in advance). Once the kale began to wilt, I dumped the chicken into the kale, along with the tomatillo salsa verde.

Once I felt that the kale had cooked enough, I was done! My mom prepared the corn tortillas by frying them in a bit of oil, and we ate!


Yum.



Chicken Tacos with Salsa Verde
------------------------------------------
6 servings
serving size: 2 tacos
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  • 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa verde
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • Salt
  • 1 tbsp. EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil-- for the wok)
  • 2 bunches kale
  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 1/4 cup queso fresco
  • Sour cream

In a medium skillet (I used a wok), heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the kale, season with salt and add about 2 teaspoons of minced garlic; saute just until wilted. Stir in the diced chicken and salsa verde; cook to heat through. Lower the heat and cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, preheat a griddle or large skillet. Fry the tortillas in a small amount of oil, flipping to cook both sides, until soft and warm.

Spoon a few heaping teaspoons of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla. Sprinkle with the queso fresco. Drizzle with the sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment