Monday, November 18, 2013

Asian Glazed Drumsticks

Posted by Spoon #2

I really love foreign food, especially Asian. My love of Asian food has flourished so much over the years that I wanted to master how to cook it. So my Mom gave me the recipe, and Voila! I cooked it, and my family enjoyed it. Because that's how it works right? I made couple mistakes along the way, so I apologize if you misunderstand how to cook it. It must seem terribly difficult, but it was surprisingly easy, for someone who'd never cooked Asian before.
Okay, so first I started with large drumsticks, ones with skin still on, and began to tug at the skin, attempting to pull it off. I tugged and I tugged, but eventually I had to give in and accept the pair of scissors so I could cut the skin free. It was so hard! I repeated this step with the other 5 drumsticks, and soon had 6 of them, skinned and all, on a plate.
After that, I browned them in a heavy saucepan on high for 3-4 minutes.

They turned out a nice golden color.
I then added water, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, and sweet chili sauce.
I stirred, and cooked it on high until it boiled.
Yum!!
I then let it simmer while it was covered for about 20 minuets.
After that, I removed the lid and let the sauce reduce down and thicken.
While that was happening, I chopped up some scallions and gathered some sesame seeds to put on top. After the sauce was nice and thick, I then placed the drumsticks on a plate and poured the sauce over them and sprinkled the scallions and sesame seeds.
"I really made this?" I wondered.
My own mouth watered as I looked at the plate and smelled the wonderful aroma. My family really enjoyed it and so did I. Wish you luck!


Asian Glazed Chicken Drumsticks
------------------------------------------
Recipe source: www.skinnytaste.com
4 servings
serving size: 2 drumsticks
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  • 8 medium chicken drumsticks, skin removed*
  • non stick spray (I used Pam)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2-1T. sweet chili sauce
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vineger
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1T brown sugar
  • 3 cloves garlic crushed (or 2 t. minced garlic)
  • 1 tsp ginger, grated
  • 2 tbsp scallions (or chives), chopped
  • 1 tsp sesame seeds
In a heavy saucepan, brown chicken on high for 3-4 minuets with a little spray oil. Add water, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, sweet chili sauce and cook on high until liquid comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about 20 minuets. Remove cover and bring heat to high, allowing sauce to reduce down, about 8-10 minuets, until it becomes a thick glaze,  turning chicken occasionally. (Keep an eye on glaze, you don't want it to burn when it becomes thick.) Transfer chicken to platter and pour glaze on top. Top with chives/scallions and sesame seeds and serve. I served it with rice . . . it was good!

*Note: As delicious as it was, I would have also loved it with chicken breasts.  It would have worked just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment